Thursday, February 24, 2011

Little Man Saves the Day in First Grade

Today was another amazing day. After almost loosing it in my first grade class room,  there was some hope. I was late to school because there were transportation issues, normally in the morning it isn't a problem because my co-teacher is there and is in charge. Well, yesterday I walked in to realize my students hadn't had a teacher because the co-teacher was working on a project in the teacher's office and left them to fend for themselves. So I walked into sheer chaos. I hade 36 students and at one point they were all crying. With no common language, gaining control is nearly impossible. I tried everything I knew.

I closed the door...got down on their level...tried to talk to them in a reasonable way... but nothing was working. I tried STOP I tried BE NICE! SIT DOWN! STOP HITTING and everyone looked at me for a moment and went about their ways.

Finally, my favorite little boy, who must have older siblings came to my rescue. He started to translate, as I explained "I am far away from my family and my friends. I want you all to be my friends but I can't do it if you aren't nice to each other." I am sure some of it was lost in translation but they calmed down and we got to play a game. I had some control until the lunch bell rang which is a pretty big leap.

Group Picture of all the students who did get new uniforms 

It was also new school uniform day, this was the project my teacher had abandon class for. Had there not been a missionary visiting today from Maryland, 87 students would have gone home without any hope of getting a uniform this year. At Ringroad, students are sponsored and those sponsors pay for their uniforms, school fees, meals, flour to send home to make food over Christmas etc.. A lot of sponsors come to the same realizations I have and instead of having an opportunity to work through them they decide they can’t continue funding their students. If all you see as a sponsor is failing grades it is hard to have faith in the school. Part of the problem I am realizing is if you don’t set up a system that has an African base, funding and donations tend to get into the wrong hands. This woman saw a need and was able to buy uniforms herself while she was here for these kids. It was extremely powerful



Looking at the kids who were lucky enough to get new uniforms today. These children will get their uniforms next week.  

Old School uniforms. Kids who until today didn't have anyone who would sponsor them
Girls feeling better in new dresses! Its amazing how they stand up straight now that they look nice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment