It seems that the long rains are about to start and it is an amazing break from the heat. It has rained the past two days around 5 and the sky and lower temperature suggest today will be no different. The long rains have been the topic of most conversations of late. People suspecting they will be much shorter than they should be, fear that if they are bad the rural areas will flood like they normally do, and of course then there are biological implications of standing water- increased malaria typhoid and cholera. Time will tell but for now the cooler (75 degrees F) weather is amazing.
This week is going to be a week of intense observations for me as I take some time to work on logistical projects for Ringroad from the office. I am working out how to set up hand washing stations so the kids have clean hands while they pick up their beans for lunch. The water tanks are ready and now I just need to get smaller containers to hold the water by the kitchen and soap, but luckily thanks to everyone who has donated I have the money to make this happen. I am going shopping for containers tomorrow and our soap will come from one of the local AIDs support groups making soap to sustain themselves. I figure it will be good for them to have a consistent order.
I have a hard time completely staying away from my kids so today I dropped off a big bag of pencils and crayons, which is always really rewarding.
Yesterday, I went to Ombeyi (the more rural clinic and feeding center) to help with new uniform distribution. I love to see how simple it is to give the kids something to smile about.
| The children help Friday Identify themselves to make sure the feeding center has a record of who has a new uniform. |

No comments:
Post a Comment