Sunday, April 24, 2011

Gone but not detached

As some of you know I made the decision to leave Kenya a little earlier then originally planned but my work there is not done. I haven’t ever been good at walking away from anything and I haven’t abandoned my work there, it just became apparent that I would be more effective, now knowing how things work, to work on my big project from afar. For now I am trying to figure out the next steps but most likely won’t be back in the US until June.

There is a wonderful family, a grandmother and her three grandchildren. The girls’ parents died a number of years ago, both from malaria five years apart from each other leaving the girls with their grandmother. A year and a half ago, the Grandmother’s cataracts reached a point where she had to quit work leaving the family in an awful position. The oldest granddaughter, who is 9 in charge of everything for the family and there is no income to support them. My friend Jenny and I were taken into their house right before we both left Kisumu and we walked away knowing it was up to us to build them a new house. I am not sure the pictures even do the experience justice but I am not sure how else to share this with you. I will be asking for some  help to complete this project and if you want to know more please email me lwschaef@gmail.com.

The Girls standing in front of their house 


Where all four of them sleep

We are afraid that the long rains will dissolve the house and leave them completely homeless

What we hope to build them!
The area where the live is nice, they have good land and they own the small farm to the right of their house 



Thank you to everyone who has made a gift to Direct Relief International directed to OGRA-you have made it possible for the first phase of this project to begin, as well as, getting food to this family, funding the handwashing and peanut butter projects. I couldn't have done it with out you!

No comments:

Post a Comment